Saturday, September 27, 2008

Harry Walter Startup


On my last visit home, my grandpa got sick and was admitted to the hospital. He was there for a few days while they ran tests to figure out what was wrong with him. They found cancer that was in the final stages. That came as a shock to us all. I was so grateful that I was home at this time so I could spend some time with him. I got to visit him in the hospital and hang out at his house. Even though he was sick he still had a great sense of humor and was joking with us. I loved spending time with them and seeing how my Grandpa treated my Grandma. He was always so sweet to her. It was really hard for me to say goodbye knowing it would probably be the last time I saw my grandpa.

Thursday night when we got home from dinner, my sister called me to tell me that my Grandpa died. It was something we were expecting, but it happened very quickly. It is very hard for me to imagine going back home and not seeing my Grandpa. He has been such an example to me of hard work, compassion, and love. He has always shown so much love for me and my family. He and my grandma supported me at countless volleyball matches and other activities and made a point of always being there for my family.




I have so many amazing memories of helping my Grandpa at the candy factory and the candy store. He loved making candy and making people happy. He was always giving and has taught me great lessons about giving, even when he didn't have much. I loved holidays at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Our favorite was the fourth of July. All the cousins would get together and sleepover on their deck. We would do fireworks, barbeque, go to the parade and usually the stadium of fire.

I will miss my Grandpa so much. He was an amazing man, father, grandfather and husband. He has taught me so much and has left a great legacy behind. If any of you have ever eaten a sucker with a wooden stick, it was most likely from my Grandpa's store. His funeral is Friday and I am so glad because Trent and I get to go. It will be good to be with family and celebrate my Grandpa's life.


11 comments:

Lindsy Hartsock said...

I LOVE him. It seriously always made my day to get my hug from him at our matches! I'm so sorry he is gone, but I am grateful that we know he is in a getter place and not in pain anymore...love you. I will see you Friday...travel safe!

RayRay said...

What a sweet man... Thank you for your post. I am sorry for your family's loss. I wish I was going to be in town for the funeral. I love you and your family so much! I didn't know him, but I'm grateful for the life that he lived because I know it influenced the kind of person that you are... and I am so grateful for you!

Amy S said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa, but I'm happy you got to see him and spend time with him before he passed away. We'll be praying for your family.

Kenneth said...

So sorry for the loss Kim. It's always hard to lose great people like that but you're right, he's in a better place. Take care

Melissa said...

love you kimmy :)

Kim said...

Kim--this is the other Kim in the family! I was on Jana's Blog and noticed you and Trent had one so I had to peek!

I am so sorry to hear your grandpa died. Travis lost his grandma last year and it is hard on everyone. So thankful for the love and the memories.

I have a blog and would love for you to visit it now and again. It's a lonely place with few visitors, at least that's what the lack of comments tell me!! Oh well, it's more of a family journal anyway~! :) I'll send you an invite when I get your email address. Mine is kimmo.peters@gmail.com

Sure love and miss you guys!!! Aiden is getting so big!!!!!

Mel said...

Good post about Grandpa--he is all you said. Glad to hear you will be in town this weekend. We look forward to seeing you guys!

Lexi Patterson said...

I'm so sorry Kimmy. I loved Grandpa Startup. I have very fond memories of him and his wonderful candy store. I loved seeing him and your Grandma come to our games. He was such a kind man and always ready to give me a hug. I know your family and especially your Grandma will miss him dearly. I'll call you when I get off work. I love you Kimberly. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Meikel said...

Your grandparents are so wonderful, we are actually in their ward. I am so sorry to hear your news, he was SO great, and so is your Grandma!

Lauren said...

hi babe. he was such a great man and i know that he was an even better example for all of us. i hope that knowing that he's in a better place brings your family more comfort. how lucky are we to have that knowledge that we will see our loved ones again and get to spend the rest of eternity with them! i love you kimmy. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. take care beautiful!

Catherine Parker said...

Oh, Kimmy. I just read this and I'm so sad to hear that your Grandpa Startup passed away. I will always have him to thank for your love of candy. I can picture you now pulling out little baggies of candy at the most random times when I wouldn't expect it. But I loved it! XOXO.